About AWC

The American Women’s Club of Winnipeg was organized under the leadership of Mrs. C.P. Walker on May 4, 1917, for the purpose of doing war work – which work was continued not only during World War I, but also during World War II.

During peacetime, the purpose of the Club was, and still is “patriotic, philanthropic, educational, and social” to the advancement of womankind.

The AWC was incorporated in the Province of Manitoba on September 28, 1922. Because the Club valued the congeniality of mind and purpose existing between the United States and Canada, it has always fostered the spirit of true harmony between itself and this, the land of our adoption.

Deeming it a particular privilege to help philanthropically, its members have donated literally thousands of hours and dollars in the Winnipeg community.

PHILANTHROPIC PROJECTS (since 1998)

1998:
Alzheimer Society
Schizophrenia Society

1999:
Agape Table
Andrews Street Family Centre

2000:
Fort Whyte Nature Centre

2001:
Alpha House
Butterfly Conservatory at Assiniboine Park
International Mucis Camp at the Peace Gardens

2002:
CancerCare Refreshment Services
Clubhouse of Winnipeg Inc.

2003:
Anxiety Disorders Association
Westgrove Elementary School Snack Program

2004:
Alpha House
Clubhouse of Winnipeg Inc.

2005:
Children’s Hospital Pediatric Research Foundation Foundation
Lion’s Club Eye Bank
Winnipeg School Division Children’s Heritage Fund: R.B. Russell School

2006:
Variety Children’s Heart Centre

2007:
Association of Manitoba Museums
Canadian Museum for Human Rights

2008:
Rainbow Stage Scholarship Fund
St. Matthews-Maryland Community Ministry

2009:
St. Boniface Hospital Therapeutic Clown Program
YMCA-YWCA Girlz Jam Program

2010: (donation made October 2011)
Winnipeg Harvest

2012: 
Assiniboine Park Conservancy

2013:
Making Waves Winnipeg
NEEDS Inc.
Philippine Relief

2014:
Port in the Storm

2015:
Days for Girls (donation made March 2015)

2016:                                                                                                                           North End Women’s Centre                                                                                             Alpha House